1. As a nodal point for United Nations Economic & Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) matters in the Department of Commerce, the ESCAP Section is responsible for the formulation of overall policy and approach/strategy for cooperation with UNESCAP for furthering Social and Economic Development in Asia and the Pacific Region. This work programme includes project oriented cooperation, experience sharing and consultancy in the core sectors like Transport, Railways, Tourism, Economic and Social Development, Planning, Science and Technology, Power and Energy, Environment and Forests etc.
2. As a nodal interface with Economic & Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) in respect of the regional and national projects and programs being implemented in India by various Ministries, the Activities handled by ESCAP Section include
- Correspondence on ESCAP related projects and programmes with various concerned Ministries and through Embassy of India, Bangkok with UNESCAP Secretariat;
- Sponsoring delegations for participation in UNESCAP Annual Session, Committee Sessions and Governing Board meetings;
- Sponsoring nominations of UNESCAP seminars, Expert Group Meetings, Workshops, Symposia and Training Programmes organized in various fields by UNESCAP;
- Preparation of briefs and statements for the Indian Delegation participating in various meetings organized by UNESCAP.
3. Work relating to finalisation of projects, activities and financial contributions to UNESCAP Regional Institutions, namely
- Asian and Pacific Centre for Transfer of Technology (APCTT), New Delhi (Annual contribution released by Department of Scientific & Industrial Research (DSIR).
- Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific (SIAP), Chiba, Japan (Annual contribution released by Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation).
- Centre for Sustainable Agricultural Mechanization (CSAM), Beijing, China (Annual contribution released by Department of Agricultural Research & Education (DARE).
- Asian and Pacific Training Centre for Information & Communication Technology for Development (APCICT), Incheon, Republic of Korea (Annual contribution released by Ministry of Communication and Information Technology).
- Asian Pacific Centre for Development of Disaster Information Management (APDIM), Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran – Annual contribution to be decided by Ministry of Home Affairs.