I. ORGANISATION & METHOD STUDIES
- CM&T Division is responsible for catering to the Training needs of each and every officer and official posted in Department of Commerce and its attached subordinate Departments/PSUs. The objective of CM&T Division is to advertise each and every training program among all officers/officials so as to make them aware of all training programs and encourage each and every official to apply for and attend as many relevant trainings as possible to be an asset for Government and contribute back in every possible way.
- Central dogma of CM&T Division is that every training program elevates and enlightens an officer/official not just from the effect of direct/online classes but from the direct/online interaction and sharing of knowledge, attitudes and viewpoints with peers which are priceless life/career changing exposures. Hence it’s the prime responsibility of CM&T Division to completely utilise the budget allotted during a Financial Year to nominate officers/officials for all relevant/important training programs irrespective of whether the same is a mandatory training program stipulated by the cadre controlling authority or not. It shall also be the endeavour of CM&T Division to get the budget enhanced every year in line with the recommendations of the National Training Policy so that officer/officials are able to attend relevant and quality training programs to be an asset to Government.
- Selection and nomination of participants for the training courses in India organised/conducted by various Institutes i.e. ISTM, National Productivity, Delhi Productivity Council, Indian Institute of Public Administration, AJNIFM, etc.
- All mandatory/non mandatory training programs conducted by DoPT at ISTM/LBSNAA.
- All mandatory and non mandatory training programs conducted by ISTM for which any officer/official is interested to attend.
- Organisation of Induction and Basic Training Courses for Assistants, Steno, Gr. ‘D’ and LDCs etc. as well as training classes for Group ‘D’ employees.
- Review of delegation of financial and administrative powers.Nominating officials for the non mandatory trainings organised by Indian Institute of Managements (IIMs), Indian Institute of Technologies (IITs), National Institute of Financial Management (NIFM), Institute of Secretarial Training and Management (ISTM), online courses floated in portals like edx.org, Udemy, Courseera, swayam.gov.in, Unacademy, Linkedin Learning and any other online training portals using the Training Budget of CM&T.
- Nominating officials for any valuable miscellaneous non mandatory trainings using the Training Budget of CM&T.
- Rationalisation of structures and procedures suo moto or on request, including those relating to activities where the public comes into contact with governmental administration with a view to obviating harassment to the public. (For these studies they will compile and maintain upto date information concerning the organisation and functions of the Ministry/ Department including an organisational chart).
- Information system (review and rationalisation of reports and returns, devising procedures for facilitating proper collection, transmission, distribution, processing, storage and easy and prompt retrieval of information, etc.).
- Forms design and control.
- Standardisation of forms of communication.
- Manner of processing certain types of repetitive work.
- Review of need for continuance of advisory bodies (e.g. committees and councils).
- Review of delegation of financial and administrative powers.
(a) Developing appropriate systems of filing for various items of work or information; and
(b) Drawing up standardised file indexes broadly based on functional designs, and periodic review thereof.
- Records management:-
(a) Ensuring preparation or review of record retention schedules concerning substantive functions of the Ministry/ Department by the concerned sections and furnishing guidance thereof, as necessary; and
(b) Scrutiny of monthly reports of arrears relating to recording, indexing, weeding, etc. of files and suggesting remedial action required.
- Office layout.
- Undertaking work measurement studies, including scrutiny of proposals for creation of posts received from other sections/divisions, etc.
- Assisting Staff Inspection Unit in work measurement studies
- Drawing up and reviewing output norms.
- The last IWSU study conducted by IWSU Division was in 2009 for the Work Study of TPD Division in Department of Commerce.
- Subsequently, as per the CSMOP Manual 2010, based upon the recommendations of the Staff Inspection Unit (SIU), most of O&M/IWSU functions have been abolished from Ministries/Departments. For O&M studies Ministries/Departments will be guided by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances. As regards the work relating to work measurement studies is concerned, the Ministries/Departments will be guided by the Staff Inspection Unit (SIU) of the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance. Work Study of Special Economic Zones under Department of Commerce was got done by the SIU in the year 2018-19. The Financial Advisers (FAs) are main links between the SIU in the D/o Expenditure and other Ministries / Departments/ Offices/ Organisations. All requests for staffing studies by the SIU are routed through the concerned FAs in the Departments. The ‘Study Reports’ are issued after ‘on the spot’ work measurement studies are conducted by the SIU Study Team after discussions with the senior officials of these organizations and finalization of the provisional assessment report of the SIU. The final report of the SIU is required to be implemented by the concerned Department within the stipulated period of 3 months. The SIU conducts physical inspection/study of the various Central Government organizations, autonomous bodies working under the Ministries/Departments of Central Government on a request from the ‘Financial Adviser’ of the concerned Ministry/Department.
Scrutiny of various arrears statements so as to bring to notice of appropriate officers failures in preparation or delays in submission.
Drawing up of a programme of inspections of sections and preparation of confidential roster of surprise inspections and ensuring that they are carried out by the officers concerned. Scrutiny of inspection reports, to locate the more common or serious defects with a view to suggesting appropriate remedial action and/or for reporting to the Department of Administrative Reforms as necessary.
Over-seeing prompt compilation and manualisation of administrative orders and instructions by the section concerned.
- VI. Reports of the Administrative Reforms Commission, Staff Inspection Unit and other external bodies and their processing and implementation. These reports will be handled by the IWSU only if the recommendations therein relates to the work allotted to IWSU. In all other cases they will be transferred to the Sections concerned with the substance of the reports.
VII.Identification of problem areas in and under the Ministry, including cases of delay, either while performing the functions under I to VI above or otherwise (e.g. scrutiny of reports of Parliamentary Committees, other committees or commissions of enquiry or at the instance of higher officers in the Ministry/ Department) and study of such problems/ cases, with a view to
locating common types of defects and devising suitable remedies to prevent their recurrence, or
taking up the matter with the Department of Administrative Reforms, Public Grievances, making suggestions, for improvement, if that is necessary.
(The review of cases of delay will not extend to fixing responsibility)
- VIII. Preparation of Induction Material (distribution of work amongst Sections).
- Dr. Surendra Kumar Ahirwar : Joint Secretary
- Shri K. V. Ajith : Deputy Director (Supplies)
- Shri R. K. Ojha : Deputy Secretary
- Ms. Pushpa Rani : Under Secretary
- Department of Commerce
- Room No : 267 A, Udyog Bhawan, New Delhi – 110107
- Tel : 011-23014564
- Email : surendra[dot]ahirwar[at]gov[dot]in
- Department of Commerce
- Udyog Bhawan, New Delhi – 110107
- Tel : 011-23062261 (ext. 479)
- Email : kv[dot]ajith[at]gov[dot]in